"Let's talk," the significant other says to the other. "Sure. We'll go for a walk. But I have to take the phone with me. You know I'm expecting an important call." Rrrrrrrrring.
"Let's talk," Mom says to Jeremy. "Sure, Mom," blip, bleep, blip. "Let me just finish this game. I'm getting the highest score yet."
"Let's talk," Melissa says to Dad. "Sure, hon. As soon as I'm done balancing the checkbook and paying these bills I'll be right with you. Give me about an hour."
"Let's talk," Grandma says to Jennifer. "Sure, Gram. But I have to run out to the store before it closes. They're having a great sale and I want to see if the sweater I tried on last week...."
Just imagine. A candle-lit dinner. Fine wine. Fresh bread. Delicious food. And the family together to enjoy each other's company for a couple of hours without the distraction of the phone, the playstation, the t.v., shopping, or the bills.
That's a Shabbat meal, and it's yours for the taking.
In today's day and age, with cell phones and blackberries, lap-tops, iPods, and consumerism like never before, a Shabbat meal is truly an island in time.
And it's simpler than you might think.
Start the meal by sanctifying the Sabbath with the blessing over the wine. You'll be surprised at how many exquisite kosher wines are available these days. (You thought, maybe, that while technology has raced ahead kosher wines have stayed in the dark ages and are all syrupy sweet?)
Then, wash your hands and say the "Hamotzee" blessing over challah - home-made, store bought, whole wheat, or low cholesterol, any will do just fine.
And then, enjoy a Shabbat meal with your family. Prepare the food the night before with everyone pitching in, or buy it at your local kosher take-out place. Serve it on your finest china and silver (and help the environment) or use throw-away so clean-up is easier. Enjoy traditional Jewish foods, organic vegetarian, kosher gourmet, your family's favorites, or anything in-between.
But don't forget one of the main parts of this whole experience: take time to talk and take time to listen, without extraneous interruptions. Try going around the table, asking everyone to share something, anything, new that they learned that week. Prepare a story or something about the Torah portion. Or just let the conversation flow at its own unique pace to its own special place. Because, the most important part will be that you're all together as a family!
Try a Shabbat dinner with your family or close friends. You'll be amazed at how special it is.
Thank you for your comments, feedback and suggestions
- Please click here to send us your comments, feedback or suggestions
- There are currently "3719" members.
- Please note that the underlined bullets on the left side of this page are links, which are updated weekly.
- Contact Us
A current Insight:
When you give for a worthy cause, it is really only a loan and G-d Himself is the guarantor. Furthermore, the more you give, the more you get. I don't mean this figuratively. I say so you will test it and see for yourself

No comments:
Post a Comment