Thank you for your comments, feedback and suggestions

A current Insight:

When you give for a worthy cause, it is really only a loan and G-d Himself is the guarantor. Furthermore, the more you give, the more you get. I don't mean this figuratively. I say so you will test it and see for yourself

Monday, November 03, 2008

Go out of your country... to the land that I will show you - areka (Gen.12:1)

Go out of your country... to the land that I will show you - areka (Gen.12:1)
Surprisingly, the Torah does not explicitly tell us that G-d showed Abraham the Land of Israel, prompting another explanation based on Hebrew grammar: In this instance, the letter "kaf" in the word "areka"does not refer to the Land, but to Abraham. In other words, G-d was telling Abraham that He would show Himself and reveal His true nature to the world through Abraham's service.
(HaDrash VeHa'iyun)
* * *
And Abram said to the king of Sodom...I will not take from a thread to a thong (Gen. 14:22-23)
In the merit of this declaration, Abraham's descendants were given twomitzvot: the blue thread of the tzitzit (ritual fringes on a four-cornered garment), and the leather straps of the tefilin.
* * *
And your name shall be Abraham (Gen. 17:5)
It states in the Talmud: "Anyone who calls Abraham [by his former name] 'Abram' transgresses a positive commandment, as the Torah explicitly states, 'And your name shall be Abraham.'" Yet there is no similar prohibition against referring to our forefather Jacob as Jacob, even though he was later given another name, Israel. One explanation offered by Rabbi Levi Yitzchak Schneerson is that the name Abram was given to Abraham by his non-Jewish father, Terach, and it is forbidden to change one's Jewish name and assume one given by a gentile. Jacob, by contrast, was given his name by a Jew, our Patriarch Isaac.
(Toldot Levi Yitzchak)

No comments: